Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Is Chatspeak Destroying English?

I tend to agree with Greg Monfils in saying that no, chatspeak is not destroying English. As I was reading the other side, written by Linda Howard, I thought of the foreign language example. I am a strong supporter of bilingual education and I think it would be inconsistent of me to agree with Linda. Many people think that knowing another language endangers a person’s command of the “more important” language. Well, that is simply not true and there is plenty of research to back it up. If a person is taught when to use which language and is educated in both, then it is a benefit to know both. Greg argues that student’s, “command of chatspeak is directly proportional to their awareness that the fashion of chatspeak subverts traditional rules of written English.” I think this is very true and disproves most of Linda’s arguments.

It is extremely important to teach our students when chatspeak is appropriate and when it is not. I don’t think it should be allowed in the classroom at all. Unlike Greg, I would not allow my students to email me using chatspeak. They need to learn how to write professional emails to professors, bosses, and colleagues in the future. I think Linda’s fear that it “will be difficult to switch gears and construct adequate, meaningful academic papers and other assignments” can be solved by simply educating our students. It is our responsibility to teach them how to write and express themselves in meaningful, academic ways and to also teach them when to use which type of language.

I am anxious to see how much this really affects student’s writing in the classroom. Do they already know not to use chatspeak in school work like Greg argues? My feeling is yes, but I guess I will just have to wait and see. Another question I had while reading the article was: Does it affect students who already struggle with writing more so than those who don’t struggle? Linda argues that yes, it does, but I guess I will have to wait and see on that one also!

No comments:

Post a Comment