Tuesday, August 4, 2009

PowerPoint Presentation Reflection

I really liked the variety of topics of the power point presentations. I love learning about random things from my classmates! It was obvious that everyone carefully chose their topic and were passionate about it. That was the best thing I saw: their passion for their subject. It was evident when they presented that they chose that topic because they are genuinely interested in it and want to share the information with everyone else. I have learned so much from everyone’s presentations. For example, I learned about Chichen Itza, the Isle of Man and the bike race, and how to make a camera out of a box.

The least engaging thing about some of the power point presentations were that they were not created/presented in an interactive way. Some had too much text and the presenter relied on the power point too much. This way of presenting is not interactive with the audience and if we ever use power points in the classroom, we need to interact with our students or else we will lose them.

If I could change something about my power point presentation I would probably add more slides in order to clarify and practice the vocabulary more. I went through really new information pretty fast, so I don’t think anybody actually learned anything long term. If I was doing this with a real Spanish class I would have added more slides and gone a lot slower.

I always thought of power point as a tool for student’s presentations or for some kind of business meeting. I never thought of it as a teacher tool and I was a bit skeptical at first. It turns out that it can be very useful. I really enjoyed getting creative and finding a way to use it in a classroom to teach my subject. I am excited to use power points in my classroom now because I feel like there are so many possibilities and it can be a great visual for students during my lessons. I only need to be careful not to rely too heavily on it and get lazy. Power points have amazing potential to be boring, so I should only use it when it can add to my lesson, not as a crutch.

No comments:

Post a Comment